Already having a hard time keeping your New Year’s resolutions? Health and Fitness Expert Stephanie Mansour has tips to help keep you on track this year!
The National Institutes of Health says you’re more likely to stick to a change in your routine by taking one small step at a time — so break down your resolutions into bite-size chunks. Here are some tips to help you make small, every day changes:
1. Put an extra pair of gym shoes by the door. They’ll remind you that all you need to do is put on workout clothes, lace up your shoes, and hit the gym or work out at home. You’re more likely to see them here when you’re headed out of the house, and they’ll be on your mind.
2. Speaking of working out at home, break down your workout plan into small chunks. Instead of committing to an hour a day at the gym, make 30 minutes your goal. Reducing the length of your workout makes it less intimidating, and easier to commit to.
3. Place a water bottle between you and the snacks that you’re always reaching for. Line up water bottles on a shelf in the fridge, blocking fattening leftovers or desserts that you find yourself going back to multiple times a day. You can do this in your pantry, too. Place water bottles in front of bags of chips, crackers, or cookies. Then drink a full bottle before eating something unhealthy.
4. If you’re a nighttime eater, try this trick: Make eating less enticing by putting something on your hands, such as lotion. You can even paint your nails instead. You wouldn’t want to ruin your fresh manicure by digging into a bag of chips, and you wouldn’t want to eat candy that tastes like lotion.
5. Finally, focus on positive affirmations. Studies show that saying positive things to yourself helps improve your body image and self-esteem. Write out a positive affirmation on a sticky note. Place these notes on your bathroom mirror or someplace that you look at daily. Then, you are in essence training your brain to think positive thoughts about yourself.
If you want more tips on how you can lose weight and keep it off, make sure you join my FREE 21 day challenge at stepitupchallenge.com.