Health Coach and Fitness Expert Stephanie Mansour dropped by Fox Chicago to share four holistic home remedies you can try to bounce back from a cold fast. Here are four ways to clear your sinuses, soothe your scratchy throat, and ease muscle aches so you can crush that important meeting or attend that fun holiday event.
Get back to the holiday happy!
High levels of stress around the holidays leave us all more susceptible to common colds. My job as a weight loss coach is to help my clients live holistically and empowered in all aspects of their lives. Many clients in my weight loss programs for women work in corporate offices around a lot of sick people! There’s always that nagging dread about, “Will I be next?”
Stay ahead of the cold and flu season this year with these four common cold remedies.
The Irrigation Station
Congestion is a killer. Flush out mucus and phlegm up top to help everything below.
• Use a Neti Pot or a squeeze bottle irrigation system like the Xlear Nasal Spray. Mix a saline solution in warm water and then squirt up one side of nose and let it drain out the other side.
• Boil water in a stove pot. Add a few drops of essential oils. Then, put a towel on your head, and lean over pot, hold face over the rising steam. Inhale deeply.
• Soak a washcloth in hot water with essential oils and lay across your face while you breathe deeply.
• Eat hot, steamy chicken noodle soup or drink a steamy mug of Echinacea tea with honey to help with congestion.
Sweat It Out
Aches and pains, fatigue, scratchy throat, and sinus congestion. Yuck. Believe it or not, working up a sweat really helps when you have a cold (not if you have the flu!). Getting your heart rate up keeps everything moving and detoxing.
• Rejuvenate in a hot sauna
• Linger in the steam room at the gym or a hot shower at home
• Get in a workout! Work up a sweat at home with my Steph it up with Steph DVD or check out my free workouts at my FREE 21 Day challenge.
Chug, Chug, Chug
Dehydration worsens cold symptoms. Your body needs extra fluids to zap those bugs away!
• Water, water, and more water! If you can’t make yourself guzzle eight glasses of water a day, drink some carbonated waters or lightly flavored waters like La Croix to make sure you’re getting enough fluids.
• Take a Wellness Shot! I love this Ginger Turmeric Wellness shot from Kor. Packed full of vital nutrients this cold-pressed shot of goodness helps reduce inflammation.
Stimulate, Soothe, Support
Feeling tired, sluggish, and congested? Here’s how to stimulate and support your system with aromatherapy cold remedies.
• Wake up your senses with invigorating yet soothing eucalyptus or peppermint essential oils! These are great for on the go. Simply dap a drop on each wrist or below your nose and inhale all day.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you want more tips on how you can lose weight and keep it off, make sure you join my FREE 21 day challenge at stepitupchallenge.com.