Did you set your New Year’s Resolution to something along the lines of working out harder, faster, or just more often? Well, our Health & Fitness Expert Stephanie Mansour is here the 5 common workout mistakes, and how to fix them to avoid an injury!
Here are the most common mistakes that people make at home and at the gym:
1. Resting – Too many water breaks or too many breaks at the gym saying hi to friends. Drink water before you start working out or on your way to the gym so that you’re not dehydrated during your workout. Instead, add in bursts of cardio, or hold strength training, to break up your workout.
2. Too much cardio – Do strength training moves in between cardio bursts to keep your heart rate up and your body working. This is a great way to add in a break to your cardio.
3. Too long of workouts – Don’t waste your entire day at the gym when you can instead be working much harder for only 30 minutes. Then, you’ll have more time to tackle your other daily activities and not feel like working out is a burden and too time-consuming. My Signature Slimdown Workout DVD has a full body 30 minute workout that you can do right at home and not have to make an extra trip to the gym!
4. Sabotaging yourself at the gym – No music or too slow of music slows YOU down! Research shows that having faster, and more upbeat music will increase your body’s stamina and help you work out longer. If you’re self-conscious that you smell while you’re at the gym, you’re breaking your motivation and causing your mind to be distracted. My new favorite deodorant, from PiperWai, is great because it absorbs wetness and is stain-free! Their all natural ingredients include activated charcoal which absorbs moisture and doesn’t plug your sweat glands.
5. Doing common exercises WRONG – For lunges, it’s important that your knee doesn’t go past your ankle. Remember to pull your abs in and use the strength in your core. When doing bicep curls, make sure you keep your elbows tucked in to your waist and then curl your arms up to your shoulders. For an overhead press, do NOT arch your back backwards. Keep it straight and pull your abs in while pressing your arms up and above your head.
If you want more tips on how you can lose weight and keep it off, make sure you join my FREE 21 day challenge at stepitupchallenge.com.