With the time change on March 13th, it’s easy to feel a bit “jet-lagged” when it comes to waking up earlier than you’re used to. Health & Fitness Expert Stephanie Mansour is here with 5 ways to start the day with more energy, including the best energy-boosting breakfasts, the best way to harness your energy first thing in the morning, and more:
Chicago’s best health & fitness expert Stephanie Mansour shares with us her 5 tips for a healthy and energizing morning routine:
1. “You snooze, you lose”! When you keep waking up every 5-10 minutes, you’re not getting restful sleep. Instead, set your alarm for the latest possible time so that you ensure you get up!
2. Harness your energy BEFORE you check your email. Do a quick 2 minute meditation, or check out this massage pillow by M Cushion! It looks like a beautiful pillow, but it’s actually used for a massage. You can use to give yourself a wake up massage while centering yourself.
3. MOVE! Here are a few stretches you can do standing up: Reach the arms out to the side and up as high as you can, reaching up through the fingertips and grounding down through the feet, and then press the palms together and slowly bring the hands down through the center of the chest.
4. Next, make sure to eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking up. This will jump start your metabolism and set the tone for the day. If you eat a doughnut, you’re setting yourself up to crave more carbs and sugar. Instead, try a protein shake. I love using my Vega Protein & Greens Protein powder – it’s plant-based protein powder and has 20 grams of protein per serving!
If you want to try something out of the box, did you know you can put tofu in your smoothie? I love the House Foods organic tofu because it’s made from 100%, non-GMO, U.S grown soybeans. It’s also a plant-based protein. You can get it at Costco or Woodman’s. Here’s a recipe I’ve used:
½ pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
½ cup raspberries
3 Tbs. honey
½ cup ice
Also, if you don’t have 60 seconds to spare and need something to grab and go, try a healthy breakfast bar. Make sure you read the ingredients! Not all bars are created equal. I prefer Kind Bars (they now have breakfast bars!) because they have good healthy fats and use ingredients you can see and pronounce.
5. Splash your face with cold water, or better yet, take a cold shower! Get into a morning beauty routine that you enjoy. Here are a few things you can try:
Clinique’s NEW Pep-Start Eye Cream: it’s a lightweight cream that instantly and over time brightens, awakens, and refreshes tired-looking eyes. It’s available at Sephora.
Bliss Triple Oxygen Radiant Protection Energizing Serum: Brightens and evens skin tone with Vitamin C. It fully revitalizes skin function, softens fine lines and wrinkles, and supercharges skin’s natural defenses to provide healthy, glowing, youthful looking skin.
Plaque HD Toothpaste: A new and first-of-its kind toothpaste, containing plaque-indicating dye that turns the plaque on your teeth teal and only disappears once you’ve brushed it all off.
Finally, Alterna Haircare Caviar Volume Shampoo & Conditioner: they’re completely free of sulfates, parabens, gluten, and sodium chloride – so they’re a good option for someone looking to get away from really chemical-laden formulas.