We all know Maia and Alex Shibutani stole the show at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games. Kirk Myers, the CEO of the NYC gym Dogpound, shared an Instagram video of Maia working out. The video shows her doing three challenging moves that can give benefits to the workout routine of a professional figure skater or the average woman working on her fitness!
Move One: Slide Board Skater
Want to try this move yourself? Instead of the slide board, you can try doing it with towels, paper plates, or even socks on a hardwood floor!
- Stand up straight with your feet at a hip-distance apart from one another. Start with the slider under your right foot while you bend the knee.
- Quickly push your right foot to the side then bring yourself back to the starting position. If you want to add another challenge, try moving your upper arms to engage your core!
- This counts as one rep. Do thirty more on your right foot at a fast pace.
- Switch legs and do 30 reps on your left leg.
Move Two: Single-Leg Reverse Deadlift on a BOSU Ball
If you are really up for a challenge, try this variation of a single-leg deadlift! This variation uses a BOSU Ball, ankle weights, and hand weights to add more of a challenge. If you watch the video, you’ll see Shibutani turns her foot outward as she extends her legs behind her instead of extending her leg straight out with her toes pointed as you would with a traditional single-leg deadlift. She is also using ankle weights and the hand weights to give herself more stability, since this moves uses a lot of balance!
If you closely watch her, you’ll notice that Shibutani arches her back and reaches her extended leg above back level. I don’t recommend anyone to do this at home. Instead, try not to arch your back and to only extend your leg to back level.
Move Three: Plank Jack with Glider
How to do it: Just like in the first move, you’ll need a sliding device! This isn’t exactly the move Shibutani is doing in the video, but it’s more challenging than a traditional plank.
- Get on all fours and place your sliding device under the foot of choice.
- Make sure your shoulders are over your wrists, your hips are over your knees, and that you’re pressing through your toes to lift your knees off the ground and extend your legs behind you.
- Also make sure to squeeze your glues and legs while bracing your core so your body is forming one long line from the hips to the ankles.
- Slide your left leg out to the side several inches, pause then slide your leg back in.
- This is considered one rep, do 10 reps on one side, then switch to the other!
Want more information about these awesome moves and how they apply to ice skating? Click here!
As a private weight loss coach and a private fitness coach for women, I specialize in helping successful women lose weight.
If you’re looking for a life coach, a wellness coach, or a confidence coach in Chicago and beyond, you’ve come to the right place! As a Certified Personal Trainer for Women, Yoga Instructor in Chicago, Pilates Instructor in Chicago, and Certified Professional Life Coach in Chicago, I work with successful women across the country as a Private Weight Loss Coach for Women.
Here are a few more things that I do as a weight loss consultant in Chicago: Weight Loss Consultant Chicago, Weight Loss Nutritionist Chicago (we work with a Doctor of Nutrition to assess all of our private weight loss clients), Health & Fitness Trainer Chicago, Health & Fitness Coaching Chicago, Health & Fitness Training Chicago, and Fitness Trainer Chicago. In addition, I do Corporate Wellness Training in Chicago, and I’m a fitness consultant in Chicago. I do Fitness Training in Chicago, Nutrition Coaching in Chicago, and Nutrition Training in Chicago. If you’re looking for a Health Trainer Chicago, Health Expert Chicago, Health Coaching Chicago, or Health Training Chicago, you’ve come to the right place! In addition, I am a Personal Trainer Chicago, Nutrition Expert Chicago, Nutrition Coach Chicago, and a Women’s Weight Loss Coach in Chicago and beyond!
Even though I am based in Chicago, I work with women across the country! For more inspiration, join our FREE 21 Day Challenge at stepitupchallenge.com